Before installing shelves, you must plan well.
You want them to look good, be strong, functional, straight, and fit right. The way to secure shelves on a wall depends on the type of wall. The following is a guide to install shelves in brick or concrete wall. Often the exterior walls of buildings and basements are cement or brick.
Tools: Shelves, brackets or standards (for a series of shelves), 7mm x 3.5cm plastic plugs with matching screws 4.5 x 45mm, 4x16mm wood screws, level, tape measure, pencil, drill with 7mm masonry drill bit (wing tipped), screw drivers.
The sizes of screws and plastic plugs here are for sturdy shelves. It is a good idea to have 8mm plastic plugs and 5mm screws for holes that are drilled too wide.
The size of plastic plugs and screws… should vary according to the purpose of the shelves. Make sure that brackets, shelves, plastic plugs are strong enough to carry twice the intended weight.
To Install Shelves
1. Measure and mark the desired position of each shelf with a line. Check that the line is straight line must be straight.
2. Place each bracket just under the line and mark the position of the holes. Each bracket or standard should be 40-81cm away from the next. Make sure there is a bracket within the last sixth or 15 cm of the shelf.
Note: At every step, check with the brackets or level that everything is aligned properly.
3. Make a starter grove for the drill with a hammer blow to a nail over the mark.
4. Drill a hole in the starter grove with a 7mm masonry drill bit.
1. Use hammer action for drll.
2. Put tape on over the starter grove to prevent damage to the sorounding area.
3. Put tape on the drill bit marking 3.7cm, the desired depth for the hole.
4. Vacuum each hole.
5. Drill the holes for the bracket one at a time using the bracket to ensure that it is aligned with the previous one.
6. Hammer the 7mm plastic plugs into the holes. Do not damage the plugs.
7. Position the bracket holes over the plugs. Alternate screwing in the 4.5 x 45mm screws through each bracket hole and plug until they are very tight. The bracket is secured.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for each bracket.
9. Put the top shelf evenly distributed on its supporting brackets.
10. Screw in the 4x16mm screws into the horizontal bracket holes and the shelf. The shelf is secure.
11. Repeat steps 9-10 for each shelf.